Monday, September 5, 2011

when it rains in the summertime

Mexico City is beautiful. The trees, the architecture, the people. The organized chaos of 20 million people (the approximate number living in the metropolitan area) milling about is also something that I will not soon forget. I've been asked what my favourite part of the trip was by several people, and it is difficult to choose any one aspect - the first thing that I noticed were the colours, even from the plane. Everything seems very colourful compared to the too-standard choices here in Canada. And then it was the trees, especially the palm trees. The neighbourhood I stayed in had rows of trees, they reminded me of some sort of ficus, and really most areas had at least some type of greenery tucked amid the concrete.

The traffic, on the other hand, was slightly insane. I didn't drive, really, and only found myself occasionally in vehicles other than public transportation. Still, the few times I was actually in the traffic itself were quite entertaining. The limited number of traffic lights was particularly amusing, and it seems quite clear to me now that there is an art to driving in the city that I am certain I could never master.

I was surprised at the air quality, as I had been a little worried it would be difficult to breathe. In the end, the air quality was never an issue for me. This is perhaps the best time of year to visit the city, as it is the rainy season and the daily rain tends to clear some of the pollutants from the air. Of course, the abundance of fumes from car exhaust was a bit overwhelming at times, as it is around any major city.

I only managed to pick up small bits of Spanish, unsurprisingly, as I really wasn't trying to learn much on my admittedly too short trip. I was very lucky to be with someone who was not only an excellent tour guide, but also fluent in both Spanish and English and willing to essentially speak for me whenever it was necessary.

I suppose I could go on a long while, but the truth is I feel like most people really don't care too much about my trip. In my family, it is more likely that people will give you scornful looks when you explain how exciting or interesting something you have done happened to be. It is always a little disheartening to come home and remember that I am mostly alone in my excitement. But then, I am quite sure that this will be a recurring theme, and it is easier to ignore than to dwell on that sort of thing.

I did take some pictures, of course:

I need to go through them and add descriptions and details, re-arrange things a little, too. I am sure it will take a great deal of time, but I will have some help. I want these mostly for myself. I learned so much about Mexico and its history, I couldn't possibly remember it all. I do, however, remember large parts and want to have as many of them attached to photos as possible. I am disappointed in myself for the lack of photos of the neighbourhood I stayed in, the Frida Kahlo museum, and the post office, specifically - though I could have taken a thousand more photos easily. I will just use this as an additional excuse to return when I am able.

No comments:

Post a Comment