Thursday, October 25, 2012

Soup

It's cold out. Okay, it's not that cold out but I have already descended into the unending misery of constantly frigid hands and feet. On that note, I give to you a recipe for incredibly delicious soup that some dude gave me some time. I always add to it (I'll make notes), but the base itself is fantastic on its own.

Red Lentil Coconut Curry Soup

2 or 3 large new potatoes (I use new so I don't have to peel them)
1 large sweet potato
2 tbsp ready-made-curry paste (Thai kitchen yellow curry works well)
1 onion peeled and finely chopped (I use white onion)
1/3 C split red lentils
Optional Ingredients: finely chopped red pepper, wild rice (or any rice), half a jalapeno (minced). 
900ml (1 and half pints) vegetable stock (I always end up adding more or at least more water, use your own judgement)
200 ml (7fl oz) coconut milk (I use a whole 400ml can of lite coconut milk)
1-2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves, plus springs for garnish
freshly ground black pepper

1. Peel the potatoes as necessary and cut into 1cm (half inch) cubes. Heat the curry paste in a pan, stir in the chopped onion, cover and steam-fry for 5 min stirring occasionally. (After this I typically add the peppers and steam-fry a little longer.)

2. Add the potatoes, lentils and stock to the pan. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 20 mins. (I always end up cooking this way longer than 20 minutes - but it really depends how soft you want your potatoes and other ingredients. I often leave it for an hour.)

3. Stir In the coconut milk and gently heat through. Season to taste with pepper, then stir in chopped coriander. Ladle the soup into warm bowls, top with coriander springs and serve with warm Chapatti bread. 

That's it.. mind you, I never have Chapatti bread and I just add the cilantro towards the end of the cooking. You could easily omit it and this would still taste really good. Thanks, random internet dude, wherever you may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment